Does the legal stuff make you cringe?
Well, it doesn’t have to!
As creatives, the legal side of our business can often be left to the side, but it is so important to protect yourself and your business.
I got to interview Riz McDonald of Foundd Legal. Riz is the founder of Foundd Legal and is a lawyer with 16 years of experience. She is passionate about all things creative and that’s what lead her to start Foundd. Riz started Foundd as a way to make all of that boring, scary, overwhelming legal stuff both accessible and affordable to entrepreneurs, creatives and designers, so they can have the best shot possible of creating a legal, lucrative brand and business they can share with the world!
In this episode, Riz and I chat about all things legal as a creative. We chat through mistakes that creative entrepreneurs make and steps that you can take to get legally legit. She shares advice that will be helpful, specifically to wedding pros, about retainers and contracts. We talk about trademarking intellectual property and the differences between copyright and trademark. Riz touches on terms & conditions, privacy policies and so much more. You’re going to want a pen and paper for this episode… promise!
In today’s episode of The Imperfect Pursuit Podcast with Riz from Foundd Legal, we discuss:
- mistakes creative entrepreneurs make when it comes to the legal side of their business
- what you need to do to get legally legit
- should people get their contracts checked by a local solicitor?
- some industry-specific advice for wedding pros
- can deposits always be non-refundable?
- trademarking intellectual property – what does it mean and why is it important?
- what to do when someone plagiarises your website
- …and so much more!
- Follow Foundd Legal on Instagram @founddlegal
- Foundd Legal website
- Foundd Legal Template Shop (use code SARAHLUTHY30 until 30.06.21 for 30% off – after June 30th SARAHLUTHY15 for 15% off!)
Thanks for tuning into today’s episode of The Imperfect Pursuit Podcast. I’d love to know — what was your biggest takeaway? Head to my Instagram to join the conversation!